Monday, March 11, 2013

Music For A Broken Piano

"Now that takes a real Virtuoso."

Anyone with some education, a little aptitude, a lot of practice and passion for music can make a piano sound good. But what can you do with a broken piano?

I've struggled my whole life with being a great guy, just not good enough. I'm like the broken piano. I get it. I am very aware of my limitations, shortcomings, faults and failures. I can quote the list of 347 reasons I'm not good enough forwards and backwards.

If someone finds a few more, I really don't need to hear them. 347 is plenty.

I've been thinking lately about the Parable of the Talents in Matt 25. I may actually have to jot down some notes before I can get it out of my head. But my main question in rereading this familiar parable is, "What about the guy that has been given a talent or two, invests them using the best wisdom he has, and looses the investment?" Not every investment made by good and faithful people doubles in value, does it? What about broken piano guys like me?

There are no obvious answers to this question in the parable itself. There are some contemplative possibilities. But the parable doesn't give an example of the servant who tried and failed.

Perhaps failure is not a possibility. Perhaps the example of the Master who goes on a long journey is not applicable to our lives. Perhaps the Master never leaves or forsakes us. Perhaps, whether it makes sense to us or not, we can relax in the knowledge that the Master Himself directs our steps. If we loose a talent or two of His gold along the way, He can afford it.

Perhaps we need to remember that He writes the music and He plays it. We're just the broken pianos.