Wednesday, December 19, 2012

If It Fits, It Ships

"Wisdom from the Post Office? Really?"

One profound thought I had as I relive and digest the Africa trip I took earlier this year, and the guy I hoped would turn out to be a closer friend, is about relationships, connections and even romance.

I'm not a 19-year old college kid, and I (surprisingly enough) have spent exactly no time second guessing myself, wondering why things didn't work out, asking myself what I could have done diffferently, etc.

Hey. For me, that's pretty damn good.

Furthermore, I didn't 'not' do these things on purpose. I just naturally assumed the stance that, "It Is What It Is", and dismissed the whole thing. Honestly, this is really unlike me. But it feels good.

Thinking through it a little more, I decided that I'm old enough, secure enough in who I am, and smart enough to look at things differently now than I would have a few years ago. In business long ago, I learned the axiom that, "if the best I can do isn't good enough, there's no hope for you." With irate customers, employees or even vendors, the best I can do is all there is. There isn't any more. If there was, I would do it.

It's fun to feel the same about relationships. I fully understand my limitations and shortcomings. But I have a lot of assets too. If I'm not good enough (which may indeed be true), then there's nothing more I can offer, nothing else to put on the table.

Which leads me to say, "Best of luck to you, and Have a nice life. I have a good life without you, and have no interest in intruding into yours." Then let the whole thing fall on the ground and get back to work.

Too bad I wasn't a good fit. It would have been a fun trip.