Monday, October 7, 2013

The "Nay's" Have It.

"I therefore did it anyway!"

I looked at the opportunity to buy a trombone and start playing again every way I could think of, and just couldn't figure out how to say, "Yes".

I don't think the world needs another trombone player. The only way to get rid of one standing on your porch is to pay for the pizza you ordered.

I don't think I have an hour a day to practice with this thing. I played in school for 2-3 hours a day, and hardly ever found time to practice outside of that.

I have other things to do with money right now besides investing in a fantasy that came out of nowhere, and could return there at any moment.

I already have both a guitar and a piano. I can invest my musical energy into those.

I can't think of an excuse to buy one and start playing again - other than I want to just now.

It was still a close vote. The committee in my head argued passionately. The discussion was strange: Everybody was arguing in the affirmative, but whenever they voted, the decision came out the other way. It's almost like each committee member wanted everyone to vote, "Yes" so that their own "No" vote would be irrelevant. That's about the strangest argument I've ever had with myself - and there have been many over the years.

Finally there came a breakthrough. Somewhere in my head, someone made the following speech:

"Of course it makes no sense to get a trombone and pretend you're a musician. That decision was made years ago, and nothing in the whole universe is indicating that the decision was wither incorrect or outdated. Forget about that.

"But there has never been a more beautiful piece of art than a Conn 48H trombone, with a rose brass slide and a nickel, bright silver bell. We can justify buying one out of the 'art' budget, not out of the 'hobby' budget (as if either budget actually exists). In that these horns haven't been produced since 1969, their value will only appreciate. So let's buy it as art. And we can play it too if we want"

The motion passed unanimously and enthusiastically.

I got the horn last Friday and have managed to cause every cat in the neighborhood to flee to Texas. So far, I am not unimpressed with the results.