Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Good Sports Massage

"Great. Just what I need: Something else to spend money on."

My shoulder hurts. It hurts from my neck to my elbow. It's not constant, but varies depending on what I'm doing. Both the location and intensity change all the time. I've tried ignoring it, taking some anti-inflammatory drugs (which help, but I don't like them), working around the problem, trying to develop better shoulders over time, etc.

If I go see a doctor, I presume that rotator cuff surgery will be needed. After all, insurance companies won't argue with it, it's lucrative for the doc et al, it's routine and who cares how much the recovery hurts? Maybe I should try physical therapy first. Maybe I'll find a good sports massage therapist.

I did that today.

The guy rubbed on me for a long time and it feels better already. The therapist is from South Korea and put some patch on my shoulder and arm. I asked what it was, and he told me. I didn't recognize the name, of course. He said he brought it from South Korea, and it was a special deal. Hmmm. Outcome is everything. We'll see if it helps.

The experience was cool, but not like others who routinely get massages tell me about. I enjoyed it until the end, when I checked out and the receptionist pushed the 'plan' on me. If I buy a massage a month for a year, I save $20 each. If I want more than one a month, the second one is half price.

I suggested we see if this one helps in the gym, and she made it clear that if I didn't sign up today it would cost an extra $100 and I wouldn't get a month free. I explained that I just had my first ever massage, and I enjoyed it, and I felt better. But I wasn't quite ready to buy $750 worth of them today. She acted offended. I felt sorry for her.

Somehow I bet that if I do decide to sign up for a massage a month for a year on my next visit (if there is one), they'll do a special deal just for me and waive the fee and throw in the extra month. But my first reaction is that I will never find out.

We'll see.