Thursday, July 26, 2012

Just Make Sandwiches and Shut Up

"It's one thing to debate qualified people, but Chicken Flippers?"

First, they make a damn good chicken sandwich.

Why they (or anyone else on the planet) think that makes them qualified to say anything at all about gay marriage is beyond me.

By that logic, I can tie my shoes and therefore I should be President of the United States. (Hell, Dubya made it.) I can make toast, therefore I can make foreign policy decisions? Really?

Even a casual overview of my blog will show that I am a gay Christian, and passionate about closing the gap between the two. I can make my case for anyone who will listen. I can debate the subject with anyone. I can (I think) win any legitimate argument on the subject hands down.

I would love to sit down with some real homophobic Christians and show them my math, help them overcome their error, teach them what I have learned. There are many people I respect greatly who disagree with same sex marriage and gay rights in general. But my contention is that they haven't really had to look closely at the issues, the people and the logic involved in this paradigm. The sound byte from Leviticus is good enough.

But why would any sane person engage that debate with a bunch of people who figured out how to fry a chicken, add a pickle and call it lunch?

This makes no sense at all.