Thursday, May 28, 2015

A Conure Homeconing

"Be It Ever So Humble..."

Ahhh...That's Better.

After a three week (and a couple of days) hiatus, my T-Bird found his way back home last night. Somebody responded to my ad on Craigslist, and called me. Turns out that they live less than a block away. My bird landed on this nice lady's head Sunday night - the day he left my house. The lady recognized him as a domesticated bird, and put him in the same cage as her parakeet. Three weeks later, she called me to let me know she had found my bird.

So, just last weekend I gave up on my bird coming back. I assumed that by now he was cat food. Or perhaps he is married with children, on his way South toward Argentina where they are from. Since I could not know his fate, I may as well imagine a good outcome, right? Nonetheless, just last Sunday, I took his cage down and put it in the garage, accepting the end of my bird owner life. For the past three weeks, I actually enjoyed not having to come home and mess with him. Cleaning his cage was not very fun, and even though I enjoyed his company I didn't like being pooped on very well. "All's well," thought I. "Teddy is released to his highest good and best life."

Now he's back.

So I got his cage back out, set up his toys, food, water, etc. and I have my friend back. I'm thinking I should take him to the vet and have his wings removed. But then he wouldn't be a bird. I guess I'll just be more careful.

Bottom line is that I enjoyed the 3 week vacation, but I'm glad the little guy is back.

As for the three weeks, I sort of got the impression that the lady that found him planned on just keeping him. But he wasn't very nice to her, and nipped at her constantly. So when I went to get him, I pulled up to the house and said, "Man, I sure hope the bird you found is mine. I really miss the little turd."

The nice lady said, "At this point, you can feel free to take him even if he isn't yours."

It took him 3 days to settle down the first time I brought him to my house. Last night it took less than 20 minutes. He's back. He's home. He's happy. So am I. So is the nice lady.