Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Weight Loss Is A Full Time Job

"I already have one of those."

I had dinner with a friend over the weekend. I didn't know it, but he has been working really hard this year to lose wieght, gain muscle and be more healthy. He is doing exactly what I am unwilling to do: He eats only tofu and bean sprouts and spends two hours a day, six days a week at the gym.

His religious fervor for losing weight and being more healthy is admirable. I am not criticizing him at all. As a matter of fact, I applaud his success so far. In just six weeks, he has lost 24 lbs and looks completely different. He is toning up nicely and feels much better. He has more energy, enthusiasm, endurance and strength. I'm proud of him. But his journey is not my journey.

I might be able to suffer through such a program for a few weeks, or even a few months. But I have no interest in adopting it as a lifestyle. I have never enjoyed exercise. Even back in college, everyone told me if I would work out regularly and especially run, my body would crave it. It would be a joy, not a chore. That never happened.

I want to eat better. I want to learn to eat more healthy, less processed food. I want to get away from convenience food. I might even enjoy cooking if I'd learn a little more about it. Of course, my friend isn't just eating tofu and bean sprouts, but in our discussion about eating, I would only eat about 30% of the stuff he said he is eating. I don't like yellow squash and wouldn't have a sardine up my nose if I had room for a freight train. I can't imagine eating both at the same meal.

If that's all there was to eat, I would certainly lose weight - I'd starve!

I'm convinced that I don't have to live that way.

My friend got a rather direct letter from his cardiologist that suggested he does have to live that way. My solution to that is: "Avoid The Cardiologist!" But he is five years older than me, and didn't do what I am willing to do this year.

And I am making some progress. More on that in the next post or few.

For now, as I stand at the bottom of the staircase looking up at my friend, I am impressed.